All images are registered with the US Copyright Office unless specifically noted otherwise.
License to Copyright
‘Commercial Use’ regarding the use of images online or offline is defined very broadly. The determination of commercial or non-commercial use is based on the contextual use of the image. The determination is NOT based on the tax-filing status of the entity using the image nor on whether or not a financial transaction takes place.
Most photographs are available for licensing. Contact via Email with any inquiries or questions. Please include proposed criteria with contact.
Commercial use of images is allowed only if expressly granted by Brian W. Downs. All commercial uses will incur a licensing fee. Fees are based on the following criteria:
- Media: print, web, television, etc.
- Distribution Size: number of copies printed, viewing audience size, exposure (regional, national, international).
- Length of Use: 1 year, 2 years, etc.
- Prominence of Display: 1/4 page, 1/2 page, full page, spread, front cover, back cover, home page (online), interior page (online), etc.
- Ownership: who retains ownership of the copyright.
- Exclusivity: any limitations placed on licensing the image to others.
Sample Use Requiring a License to Copyright:
- A marketing campaign for a commercial entity.
- A fund-raising campaign for a not-for profit entity.
- A background image for a website.
- License to create an individual print for use in a private home.